Tuesday, March 30, 2021

I'm Taking Over!





Let me introduce myself! I'm Mrs. Kitty Brighton and I'm the Education Bunny for Huntsville Friends of Rabbits (HFR). We're a small group of rabbit lovers in the Huntsville, Alabama area. For about 15 years we've been helping bunnies by rescuing unwanted rabbits and educating the public on rabbit behavior and care. We've worked very hard to make life better for bunnies around here!

Unfortunately, over the last couple of years the people running HFR - my secretary (Ruth) and chauffeur (Dr. Bruce) - have had to retire from active rescue work because of health issues.  They felt very sad about this. So I asked them: why not switch our focus completely to education? Why, I could do this work myself! 

There are lots of cute bunnies on the Internet (hello Mr. Bigglesworth!) but they don't really talk about bunny care. And there are all kinds of sites where you can get information about rabbits (good, bad, and very, very bad!) but none are actually written by rabbits themselves. My dream is to give you both - a cute bunny (ME!) and good info about rabbit care. After all, I am the official HFR Education Bunny!! Who better to educate you about bunnies than me?!  

Ruth agreed to help me by taking dictation and we're ready to tackle the new Huntsville Friends of Rabbits blog! You can expect blurry photos (I have trouble sitting still), great tips on rabbit care, the answers to your behavior questions, interviews with some of the wisest bunnies on the internet, and a very enthusiastic guide to all things lagomorphic.  I'll be rabbiting on about all sorts of things! Some of my posts will be just for your bunny. Let's talk rabbit to rabbit about what bugs you most about your human!

So let me tell you about myself. I'm a gorgeous Mini Rex rabbit with fabulous black and white markings (did someone say cow bunneh?) I look wonderful in tutus and I wear my tiara a bit askew! 

I was found wandering loose in a trailer park after my former owner's trailer was repossessed and she moved without taking me. She just dumped me there! Can you believe it? **

Fortunately for me, some ladies from the local cat rescue came to the trailer park to help with stray kitties. They were friends with my secretary, and they knew that no bunny should be wandering around outside. They took me home and kept me for a few days until HFR could fit me into foster care. In their honor, I named myself Kitty. Without them I don't know what would have happened to me!

My first weeks in foster care were a blur of delicious food, a warm place to sleep, my very own pink litter box, and perfecting my gracious ability to greet every visitor that arrived. I also had several vet visits, including a mysterious one where I was given some gas to breath, after which I fell asleep and awoke with an incision on my stomach. Yes, dear Readers, I had been spayed!***

All was going well, until my staff started to realize that my spay had not calmed me down the way they had thought it would. In fact, I was the biggest bundle of energy they had ever encountered in a rabbit. Something was obviously wrong. I went back to my vet for further testing, and it was discovered that I had a problem with my thyroid. No wonder I was so hyper!

From that point on it was apparent that I would be hard to adopt. Who would want a hyperthyroid bunny? Well, don't you worry, because I came up with the perfect suggestion! Why couldn't I just stay at the foster home as a permanent resident, and occupy myself as the official HFR Education Bunny? With my super-outgoing personality, my fearlessness, my limitless energy, not to mention my velvety Rex fur and gorgeous face, I would be the perfect rabbit for the job!

So here I am! I've loved being an Education Bunny. Over the years I've visited schools, the library, the Botanical Gardens, and our local radio stations - all kinds of people who want to learn about rabbits. I'm even good with groups of children! Now that I'm getting older (I'm eight years old) I don't enjoy these visits as much as I used to, and I'd prefer to carry on with my job by dictation.  I've started writing posts for our Facebook page, and now, here I am, writing this blog! 

In my spare time, I like to check out new toys (I hope to do toy reviews!), rearrange my living space, try on new outfits (I plan to do an entire post on my tutus), and think about new things that I need to teach people about bunnies. Oh, and eating! I love to eat!

Well, that's enough about me for now! Do you have something you would like to know about rabbits? A question you'd like to ask? Just leave me a note in the comments! Until then, byeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Your roving correspondent and lagomorphic reporter,
Mrs. Kitty Brighton

**This is honestly a true story!!
***We'll talk about why you should spay/neuter your bunny very, very soon!!


No comments: